Portland is weird, but proudly so… it’s just part of its charm and why the city is so great for dating and singles. There’s also a vibrant beer and wine scene, tons cultural events from plays and concerts to indie stand-up in tiny back rooms, more gardens than you know what to do with, and plenty of weird and unique things (the Naked Bike Ride, the Belmont Goats, Bug Sundaes) for you to participate in all year. Also, with over half the people here being single, dating here is easy.
Why some single people have problems dating in Portland
The flipside to all that wonderful craft beer and locally-made wine and everything else is that if you’re not a drinker, or don’t want to be with someone who makes a hobby of it, dating in Portland can suddenly feel much harder. Luckily, there’s plenty of stuff for singles to do here that doesn’t involve booze.
Another reason the dating scene here has been described as less than ideal is how laid-back Portlanders themselves are – they’re content to coast along rather than actually look for love. For singles in Portland, finding partners who are proactive about wanting a relationship can be a long journey, but rest assured, they do exist!
How to meet singles In Portland
Luckily, there’s no shortage of ways to get to know new people in Stumptown. Here are some of the best places:
- If you’re a bookworm, there’s no better place to meet fellow bookish singles than at events at Powell’s City of Books, or just browsing the shelves and asking that cute person for recommendations.
- If you’re more of a wine connoisseur, Portland Urban Wine Tours are specifically designed to be great places to meet other singles in Portland while enjoying the region’s great wines.
- Or if you want to go a little more high-brow, head to the Portland Art Museum on Friday evenings for unique performances, fun games, and the chance to meet art-loving singles.
Why online dating is a successful way to find love in Portland
Dating, in Portland and elsewhere, can sometimes be a little challenging, but if you know what you’re looking for the easier it is to find it – but that’s easier said than done. Solving this problem is where eharmony stands out from the pack – the site’s detailed profile tools let you tell potential partners who you are – and learn who they are in return – before you even have your first conversation.
On your profile, you can use the ‘What’s on My Mind’ (conveniently located at the top of the page) to tell anyone reading, well, what’s on your mind. And to make sure that potential partners know the most important things about you up front, and ‘Who Am I’ section with answers to four important questions – ‘I’m Thankful For’, ‘Best Life Skills’, ‘Things I Can’t Live Without’ and ‘My Friends Describe Me As…’ – a great jumping off point for those deeper connections.
With its detailed Personality Profiles and the Compatibility Quiz all members fill out, eharmony makes it easy for you to find Portland singles whose vision and values for the relations align with yours… and with whom the odds of creating a deep connection are high right from the start.
Going the distance with eharmony
When Erin and Tyler met on eharmony in November 2014, he was in Portland and she was in Texas. That didn’t stop them from having pretty much an instant connection – Tyler booked a ticket the first week they talked, for a visit on the one-month anniversary of their first meeting. Their initial plans were to visit each other about every month, but they found they were such a compatible match that Erin moved to Portland in February… and the rest is history.
4 great Portland first date ideas
- It doesn’t get more romantic than a stroll through the International Rose Test Garden.
- Prefer a more casual first outing? Head to Helium Club or Harvey’s Comedy Club for an evening of laughs with your date.
- Or make science even more fun by taking your date to OMSI After Dark at the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry.
- Or grab a cookie from Coquine’s or a Voodoo Donut and head out to Forest Park for a quiet, romantic hike.
Looking for someone special in Portland? You’ve come to the right place, singles
It’s true, Portland can be a little weird – but that’s why people like it. Along with all the great food, the multitude of craft breweries and local wineries, the chance for truly offbeat cultural experiences, and yes, even the hipsters. Sign up to eharmony and get started on your own weird happily ever after today.