Dating a Short Guy – Why True Love Goes Beyond Physical Attraction
It is a known fact that the height difference is considered as an important aspect while finding a partner. For ages, people have been associating better height with dominance, strength, and confidence. There are many people who are susceptible to the tall-guy phenomenon. Many people prefer to date men much taller than them and ignore other critical aspects like character, compatibility, and so on.
Table of contents
But, does height really matter in love? If what women want is an honest, committed, and lasting relationship then dating a short guy can expand your dating pool. In the end, it is about individual preferences, but short men deserve a fair chance.
The three challenges of dating short men
If you are a short guy, it does not mean your dating pool has shrunk or you are doomed in the dating department. It only means there a few obstacles on your path to true love. Here are the challenges if you are a short guy or if you are dating one:
1. When dating a shorter guy is a deal-breaker
Many people are happy to date a guy regardless of their height but for some being short is a dating deal- breaker. For short men, this can reak havoc with their self-confidence. The key is to pursue people with whom you have a good chemistry and there are plenty of people who wouldn’t mind the height half as much as you think.
2. The stigma of being a short man
The next challenge, is that short guys are stigmatized by society and are perceived less positively. If you are dating a short guy, then you might begin to wonder if everyone is only focusing on his height even though he is great looking and has a stellar personality.
3. People like to justify their preferences
Another obstacle is when you begin to justify your choice or stress over choosing the right words. If you two are compatible, you should give your guy his credit and not worry about the height.
What are the advantages of dating a short guy?
Men who have the confidence to date someone taller are attractive and have interesting personality traits. So, please remember there is more to someone than just ‘height’ and that you are only limiting your options by filtering out short guys. Here are a few points that might beat the stereotypes:
High probability he is not insecure
Dating a short guy implies, being with someone who looks at you beyond your physical appearance. He can be compatible with you at various levels and there are high chances of a lasting relationship. Studies confirm that shorter men make more faithful partners and are less likely to get a divorce.
If you are short too, you have something obvious in common
He will be more sympathetic and understanding about short people problems. You can bond on this aspect. If you have great dating compatibility it can lead to a fulfilling relationship.
Shorter guys are more accommodating
Studies shows that shorter men usually compensate for their height. They tend to be sensible, kind, and loyal from the other side of the height spectrum. They are even known to contribute more to household chores and are also better financial contributors.
You have a broader dating pool
You have better chances both online and offline when dating!
The common concerns short men have while dating someone taller
Short guys know for a fact that tall, handsome, well-built, and well-established are the qualities people look for in a partner. So, it is natural to have some awkwardness before approaching a woman or man. You are likely to experience some of these worries.
- Social awkwardness – What will people say? The height difference will be lurking at the back of your mind making you feel overwhelmed no matter how many times you have gone through this issue in your mind. People will continue to give peculiar looks or make inconsiderate remarks.
- Feeling awkward during intimacy: You are likely to worry about aspects like clasping hands with your tall partner, kissing her, and you worry about the intimacy.
- The fear of being mocked: You worry that you will be humiliated by your partner or you might feel less respected and often mocked for your height. You fear that this can cause irreparable damage to your self-esteem and your relationship.
- You’re mature in your thinking – you look beyond physical attraction.
- You are self-sufficient and therefore more confident.
- You know you can have a successful romantic relationship, because you put more importance on core values and beliefs.
5 Tips for a someone dating a short guy
You have made a sensible choice by choosing someone who shares your values. Good job on not adhering to height norms.
- Do not bring up the topic of the height difference unless he wants to talk about it – don’t even joke about it.
- Be confident – breaking the stereotypes is not impossible.
- Don’t feel awkward about it. Dating a short guy will only portray you as an open-minded person.
- The quality of your relationship matters. Concentrate on the benefits of dating a short guy.
- Look for the signs of a good man – his charm, intelligence, compassion, and the compatibility factor.
Dating a short guy – Throw perceptions of appearance outside the window
Looks are not the be-all-and-end-all of happy relationships. The attractiveness need not always be physical. To fall in love and go through life together, height or looks should not be made a priority. You cannot judge a person by their height and decide if you will be compatible with them or not. What is important is to share similar values and life goals.
Throw those perceptions away and look at dating with a new perspective. Try eharmony to find the right partner!