When it comes to love, there are far worse places to look for it than Anchorage. The largest city in Alaska, Anchorage offers singles some of the most gorgeous natural vistas in the US, some of the best hunting and fishing, the opportunity to learn about a variety of Native communities and cultures, and much more. And with nearly half the population being single, dating in Anchorage is definitely no joke.
Why Anchorage singles find traditional dating a challenge
The downside to being able to watch the Northern lights, or live a stone’s throw away from glaciers, or even see moose up close? Long, cold winters. Even as relatively south as Anchorage, winters are long, dark, and bone-chillingly cold. If you’re planning on dating in Anchorage, however – your best bet is to embrace the cold. Skiing and snowshoeing make for great couple activities, as does ice skating or pond hockey. And there’s nothing like sharing a steaming mug of hot chocolate in front of a roaring fire with someone special.
How to meet people in Anchorage
With nearly 300,000 people (almost 40% of the population!) there’s no shortage of single men and women in Anchorage.
- With some of the most breathtaking natural landscapes in the world, it’s no wonder that this is a mecca for photographers. Join a local photography club and meet fellow nature-loving singles in Anchorage.
- Take advantage of all the daylight summers have to offer with a garden. And the Alaska Garden Club is a great way to socialize with other green-thumbed singles.
- Rather a more active hobby? Whether it’s running, biking, hiking or even roller derby, there are clubs in Anchorage for even the most sports-minded others.
Online dating in Anchorage with eharmony
While there’s a lot to be said for dating the old-fashioned way, more and more singles in Anchorage and elsewhere are turning to the Internet to find their next relationship. Especially in a place like Alaska, going online makes a lot of sense; with winters as long and cold as they are, dating apps offer an easy way to connect with potential partners without the risk of being caught in a snowstorm or dealing with icy roads.
At eharmony, the understanding of what matters most in a relationship is compatibility. Which is why our Compatibility Matching System, that was created and has been based on our years of experience bringing people together, works so well. When you sign up, you take a detailed Compatibility Test that tells eharmony about your personality and your preferences, needs, and wants in a relationship. This information is used to create a Personality Profile for you, which will then run against the extensive database to find singles who’re compatible with you and match your criteria. With eharmony doing all the work of making the initial connection, turning it into a relationship is much easier.
Awesome Anchorage first date Ideas
Our picks for where to take that special someone:
- Summer is a perfect time for an outdoor date. Head to Eklutna Lake, then head up a nearby hiking trail for a breathtaking sunset view.
- That doesn’t mean winter has nothing to offer – a wintery day with clear skies and high solar activity is a perfect time to watch the Northern Lights together.
- Not a fan of the great outdoors? Head to Color Me Mine and have fun painting each other first date souvenirs.
- Or wander around the Anchorage Farmers Market and snag fresh produce, baked goods, and seafood for a DIY romantic dinner.
Alaska may be cold, but singles in Anchorage find the dating scene is heating up
Once known as Seward’s Folly, I think we can all agree that the great state of Alaska (and Anchorage with it) is anything but. From dining on fresh-caught moose and fish to exploring the history of Anchorage at the Anchorage Museum to marveling at nature’s beauty, there’s so much to see and do that Anchorage singles are spoiled for choice. The only thing that could make it better is having someone to share it with, so sign up for eharmony today.
eharmony has helped millions of people find real love over the past 20+ years, and we’re on a mission to help millions more achieve the same.