Single life in your 40’s certainly has its moments. For many people dating over 40, the sense of stability and self-possession in your life can sometimes feel offset by the seemingly different rules that play out in older dating scenes.
We take a look at the issues facing 40-something singles, how easy they are to overcome and get back out there, the way dating sites for over 40 year olds have changed the landscape for singles, and why eharmony is the premier option for people looking for more from their dating services.
Table of contents
Some Common Gripes for Singles Over 40
The journey to finding love and happiness can sometimes feel like a rollercoaster and often mental stumbling blocks get in the way. We have summarized which aspects singles over 40 often struggling with and how to deal with on your dating journey.
It can be hard to fit love into your life
People dating after 40 tend to be quite deeply involved in their careers, but work life shouldn’t consume your leisure time – it’s important to separate the two.
Your life is more complicated than when you were young
Sometimes families and lifestyles can be a big factor to consider when dating over 40 and seeing if a relationship is viable. Honesty and communication between all parties is vital.
Dating sites for those over 40 aren’t much different
Many middle-aged singles online wonder which is the best dating site for over 40. Many experience the negative aspects of the culture, which is why it’s important to find a service that suits them.
The dating over-40 scene has changed
Many now see dates as more informal events that can involve just a cup of coffee or a park walk. You may want to start looking at contemporary dating life a little more openly.
Your standards become very specific
It’s easy to get stuck in your ways as you get older. While it’s prudent to prioritize your needs, you should also be open to those standards being fulfilled by different types of singles.
Dating Over 40: Some Pros and Cons
Some people, particularly those getting back into the swing of dating again, can have a negative outlook on middle-life dating. While there are certainly some minor drawbacks, in many ways, it can be the best dating stage in one’s life.
A study by Pew Research Center showed that older singles tend to be quite open to meeting eligible singles in a variety of circumstances, including through friends, online, at restaurants, through work and personal activities.1 Singles over 40 date with purpose and often make for more entertaining meet-ups. Over-40s tend to be past the days of a couple of beers from the local bar and some sidewalk vendor pizza after as a date and are more open to novel and imaginative date experiences.
The dating experience can also feel more rewarding as older singles tend to be better at communication and being open about their life and feelings.
The most obvious drawback is the reduced amount of time you’ll be able to commit to each other than if you were younger. Instead of subsuming each other’s lives, it’s more of a sober negotiation on how much can be merged and what the best pace for your relationship journey would be, in terms of your respective families and responsibilities.
The same Pew study showed a reduced interest or prioritization of dating for over 40s2 but this just makes looking in the right places all the more important.
How to Get Back in the Dating Pool and Make a Splash
For many, starting over again in dating can be a little intimidating. Many don’t know where to start, let alone how to approach it if they find someone they like. Here are some good ways to get started:
- Know your value as a person and what makes you a desirable partner and don’t let anyone treat you otherwise.
- Go into the dating process with a firm idea of what you’re looking for. This can help you quickly discount certain dating opportunities while maintaining your sense of self.
- Branch out in the activities you take part in and consider socializing through your interests. For people dating over 40, joining a sports or hobby club can be a really easy way to meet like-minded people. If you don’t have a social hobby, consider taking a class or workshop, which tends to be a natural group socializing environment.
- Set a schedule where you set aside time for dating. Whether it’s using apps and dating sites for over 40 year olds on Friday evenings or just trying new locations and social activities every second Saturday, for instance, you need to put yourself out there for people to see your potential as a partner.
Making Dating Over 40 More Effective With eharmony
As the No. 1 trusted dating app3, eharmony has built a two-decade-spanning reputation for helping relationship-minded people find the person that’s specifically right for them.
The reason that someone finds love on eharmony every 14 minutes4 is down to our highly data-driven approach to finding just the right eligible singles for people. Using the science of compatibility, our Compatibility Matching System can hone in on people whose personalities complement and contrast yours in ways proven to lead to happier, lasting relationships.
Our platform also lets you take control of your dating life with powerful tools to help you navigate your list of compatible singles, allowing you to filter based on Compatibility Scores, their proximity, age, education, employment level and even your shared interests.
How to Join and Meet Compatible Singles Over 40
- Sign up and complete our Compatibility Quiz. The quiz generates your Personality Profile, which becomes the foundation for which singles our system pairs you with.
- Setting up your profile is simple with our information-rich but text-light member profiles.
- Review your personalized list of compatible singles and use some of the filters to quickly narrow down your options.
- Find one you like and get in touch. We have a variety of communication features to get things started.
Just those four steps and you’re good to go.
Add a Bit of Love and Adventure to Your Work-Life Balance
While there might be some data showing that not everyone dating over 40 is prioritizing it, this shouldn’t discourage the people actively seeking a deeper love with someone who truly understands them.
Unlike the messy and disorganized dating scene young people have to endure, you can enjoy the process of meeting new singles, exploring new social avenues and finding less obvious romantic opportunities with more grounded and realistic singles, all while maintaining a firm handle on what you want from life and your relationships.
eharmony can help uncover these opportunities more effectively and make the most out of your dating efforts. Come find out for yourself today. Join eharmony.
How Dating after 40 works with eharmony
Your search for a great relationship has never been easier with groundbreaking overhaul of the eharmony you know and trust.