When it comes to Japanese dating in the U.S. you might ask yourself: Are there some special things or customs to keep in mind when dating Japanese singles? How does Japanese dating work? And how do I find a long-lasting relationship with someone who is truly compatible?
The good news is that there are Japanese singles all over the world. Especially in the U.S. 41% ot the 1,498,000 Japanese living there, are single1. Now the challenge is to find your perfect partner among them, which has not only great chemistry with you, but also shares your values, beliefs and cultural understanding. We took a look at the Japanese dating culture in the United States, at how to find the right person for you and at just how eharmony can help you along your journey.
Table of Content
Japanese Dating Culture: Differences to American Dating
Dating someone who is Japanese can be quite different in some ways than dating an American. When dating Japanese singles, it helps to keep in mind some of the following cultural differences regarding dating.
- Communication: Clear and open communication about your romantic feelings could be expected from dating partners, because it clarifies the intentions of both parties. This concept of “romantic confession” is also called “kokuhaku”. It signifies a willingness to enter a serious relationship and is often seen as a significant milestone.
- Long-term commitment: Japanese dating tends to be focused on finding a long-term partner, rather than casual dating or hookups.
- Displays of public affection: In Japan kisses or other public displays of affection are not that common because Japanese society values modesty and privacy. When dating a Japanese in the U.S. though, such romantic gestures in public can be as normal as in American culture. Just be open about your expectation and have an understanding for the preferences of your dating partner.
- Gift-giving: Gift-giving is an important aspect of Japanese dating culture, with small gifts exchanged on special occasions and during dates. Although this might not be the most important reason for a successful dating story, your dating partner surely will be happy about thoughtful gifts which show that you care about the things he or she likes.
- Parental involvement: Parents may play a more significant role when dating a Japanese, particularly when it comes to arranging introductions and giving advice. However, you may often be introduced to the parents at a relatively late stage, as it is often common not to meet your partner’s parents until a wedding is already being considered.
Despite several differences between Japanese and American dating culture, it is important to realize not all differences in dating or a relationship with a Japanese person are cultural ones, some are just personal preferences or personality traits. As in every other dating culture, what counts is: be open, attentive and respectful regarding the expectations of your dating partner.
Looking to Meet Some Japanese Singles in Your City the Traditional Way
Here are some of the ways that single Japanese people are connecting both in the U.S. and across the world.
Join a sports and social club
Try revisiting an old sport or perhaps, even try a new one at your local sports and social club. The useful thing about these clubs is that they cater to people of all skill levels and also host several co-ed leagues. Whether you’re a novice or a natural athlete, it’s a great place to stay active while getting the chance to discover new people. These clubs also often hold social events and activities for their members, offering an opportunity to meet all the members and, possibly, some new Japanese dating opportunities.
Go to a live music show
Few events can beat the vibrancy of a live music show, regardless of what genre is your personal favorite. The communal aspect of fans listening to music together creates a very social energy that makes it easy to encounter and interact with new people. You could also try attending a local music festival, which tends to draw in crowds from neighboring towns and cities as well as international tourists.
Explore your options online
Japanese dating prospects can sometimes feel scarce, depending on where you live in the country. So, if you’re looking for a better idea of the local dating landscape, an online dating service can quickly offer a clear perspective on what your local options are. Given the limitations on how much we socialize and the circles we travel in, one often underestimates how many suitable singles there are around us. But if you can’t find anyone who catches your eye nearby, you can always cast a wider net to neighboring areas.
The Perks of Using eharmony Instead of a Classicla Dating Site for Japanese Singles
If you’re looking for singles who share your cultural background, it’s understandable to be drawn to niche dating services geared specifically towards your ethnicity. Unlike many traditional Japanese dating sites and apps, eharmony draws on over 20 years of experience in the industry and a time-proven Compatibility Matching System that has helped over 2 million people find love. Let’s look at why we’re so successful at putting couples together.
1. We have a large user base of all cultures and ages
eharmony has a longstanding and trusted reputation in the online dating industry2 as well as a commitment to an inclusive, open-minded user-focused platform. For these and many more reasons, we have built up not only a very significant user-base but also a very diverse one, representing each dimension of modern society. This diverse user-base enables us to properly refine and tailor the profiles they are shown so that you’re only presented with Japanese dating opportunities we already think would suit you. This puts you on a solid footing from the outset, ensuring more engaging and meaningful connections on our platform.
2. Make a meaningful connection with japanese singles on eharmony
eharmony has several tools for connecting with people, beyond traditional text-messaging. From Icebreakers to Smiles, we strive to make interactions on our site as dynamic as possible for Japanese dating. The icebreaker is one of our most popular features, because sometimes pictures say more than a thousand words. To have a smooth and personal conversation starter you can send your potential partner your selection out of five pairs of images and reveal a first glimpse of your personality.
3. A system designed to get to know the real you
One of the reasons our Compatibility Matching System is so effective at helping people find love and differs from other Japanese dating sites is our Compatibility Quiz. You complete it when you first sign up with us. The quiz includes straightforward questions like, “What do you want your partner to like about you?” combined with more abstract questions like asking you to choose which you prefer between two shapes. These have been designed by our relationship experts to explore both your conscious perspective of yourself as well as unconscious personality traits, you have not picked up on until now. The result is your Personality Profile, a concise and easy to read report on the various dimensions of your character and dating style. This profile forms the basis for how we match you with others on our platform.
Japanese Dating: Following Your Own Path to Love
From dancing in the crowd at a live music show to casually playing in a weekend baseball league at your local sports club, there’s no shortage of ways to meet and explore Japanese singles. But if you want to save some time and start connecting with people today, using an intuitive platform that will actively seek out people you’d be compatible with, eharmony’s here to help. See who’s out there. Register for a free with eharmony today.
How Japanese Dating
with eharmony works
Your search for a great relationship has never been easier with groundbreaking overhaul of the eharmony you know and trust.