New York, New York… as the song says, it’s a wonderful city. From some of the best food in the world to a dazzling array of cultural events to the convent green spaces, there’s something for everyone in the Big Apple. And with 57% of the population being single, there’s lots of scope for dating in New York.
Why dating in New York City can be harder than finding a cab at rush hour
New York isn’t called the City That Never Sleeps for nothing. Dating in the Big Apple can be a challenge, just because busy New Yorkers have such full lives. Between balancing work and family and all the fun things there are to do in New York, dating quickly becomes something that’s pushed to the back burner. Plus, life in the city moves so fast there’s rarely time to think, let alone date.
But the nice thing about New York, singles, is that there are so many people that finding someone whose schedule works with yours is more a question of when than if.
Where and how to meet people In New York
So many choices, but here are our picks for the best places to meet singles in this metropolis:
- Take a class at many of the world-class universities in the Big Apple. You’ll further your education and potentially meet like-minded singles.
- Don’t feel like going back to college? Try improv, or trapeze, or one of the dozens of other classes offered by Brooklyn Brainery or Coursehorse and meet new people in the bargain.
- If you’re a fitness buff, a running group in Central or Prospect Park is a great way to get in your 30 minutes while meeting singles in New York.
- Or you could head to one of the city’s many bars and speakeasies for drinks and a chance to meet new people. If it’s summer, the Frying Pan, Watermark Bar or any rooftop spot won’t disappoint.
The significance of online dating in New York City with eharmony
For busy single men and women in New York, dating apps connect individuals in a way that works with everyone’s busy lives. Not to mention, dating here can be expensive, even if you’re splitting the bill, which makes doing the initial getting to know you stuff online an excellent idea.
And with eharmony, you’re in excellent hands, New York singles. In the twenty years the dating site and app have been in the business of bringing couples together and learned a lot about what makes a relationship last. The key? Compatibility. Which is why, when you sign up for eharmony, you get asked to take a twenty-minute quiz so they can get to know you.
eharmony will use your responses to create your customized Personality Profile, which will then be used to compare your profile with all the other profiles in our extensive database that fit the criteria you’ve laid out for a potential partner. Once the matching algorithm is done working its magic, you’ll be presented a list of compatible singles in and around New York to you, ranked in order of how well they fit your criteria for a relationship.
After that, the world is your oyster. Dive into the detailed profiles, eharmony lets its users create to see if anyone piques your interest, then send them a Smile if you’re shy or a pre-prepared Icebreaker question to get the conversation going. You never know just where it’ll lead you!
Keri and Adam’s NYC Love Story
For Adam and Keri, meeting on this dating site and app meant the pressure was off during their first in-person conversation and they could really connect, even on the phone. That conversation led to a date led to a deepening of the connection they’d both felt right from the beginning, thanks to the Compatibility Matching System, and they were married a year after their first meeting.
Great New York first date ideas
- Get creative (and make a date night souvenir) with a class at CraftJam.
- Love nature, but not the Central Park crowds? Take your date to the Bronx Botanical Gardens, or pack a picnic lunch and head to Prospect Park.
- NYC has so much great food, it seems silly to restrict yourself to a single restaurant. Do a food hall tour and enjoy debating your favorites with your date.
- Or do good while having a good time with an afternoon date volunteering – NYC Cares has a great list of opportunities to give back.
The sky’s the limit when it comes to dating in New York City
There’s so much to see and do here, it can sometimes seem like dating in New York is an indulgence. But it’s just as true that the Big Apple is so much better experienced with someone special, from ambling around Prospect Park to taking in a show to waiting in line at Katz’s for a Reuben. And with eharmony’s Compatibility Matching System, finding someone to share this wonderful town with is easier than ever, so sign up and start your New York love story today!