People dating in New York often describe the experience, only half-jokingly, as an extreme sport. And with the large number of NYC singles, their often-transient approach to romance, and the odd frenetic tinge added by the city’s ceaseless pace, it’s easy to see why NYC dating has such a colorful reputation.
But is the dating scene as big as it seems? We’ve found that meeting singles in the city is all about knowing where to look and opening your heart to exciting opportunities whenever they come up.
Why dating in NYC sometimes feels like such a battle
The first thing that comes to mind when wondering ‘why is dating in NYC so hard’ is choice. People here can sometimes be impatient when it comes to budding relationships, since there’s a large amount of people in NYC. Living in the city isn’t cheap, and the work ethic and extreme ambitions of New Yorkers reflect that. NYC dating can be tough because people just don’t make time to date, rather focusing on their careers. When they do date, they tend to do it a bit cautiously as even a couple of drinks at a nearby bar comes with a much steeper price tag than other places in the country.
So what many locals dating in NYC figure out is that it’s not finding a date that’s the hard part, it’s building a connection with someone that leads somewhere special.
A cheat sheet for dating in the Big Apple
One thing you may find is that you’re not going to meet anyone by just sitting in your apartment. It’s vital to put yourself out there and explore.
Here are some of eharmony’s best NYC dating tips for meeting people:
- Explore parks around the city. These can open you up to new social situations. It could be starting a conversation with someone over your dog or being asked to join a pickup game.
- Try taking a class or joining a club. Pick something that also appeals to you, to meet like-minded singles. This is easy as these group activities can help you build a community.
- Break your patterns. Go to that jazz club that always catches your eye in the Village or attend a public event you wouldn’t ordinarily. This is how you break your typical routine and meet new people.
- An option most modern NYC singles opt for is online dating. It can be handy getting the whole scope of who’s out there in the city and looking for what you’re looking for.
The New York City dating app experience
When you download a New York dating app, it’s not much different than in other locations in the United States. That being said, because people here are so busy, messaging and scheduling dates can move very quickly or at a snail’s pace. It can feel like you’re getting whiplash, but make sure to go at a pace that’s comfortable for you.
It’s important to know that with a large population comes a large amount of singles on a New York dating site. With many swipe-based apps, it can feel that you are essentially just presented with an endless, unstructured list of singles in your area. And with a dating scene as large as New York’s, you might not even get through all the singles that are on your block.
How eharmony makes NYC dating meaningful
eharmony take a compatibly approach to dating, so you’re receiving the highest quality matches possible and not just another app to endlessly scroll on. For the past two decades, the eharmony approach has always been about compatibility. With a team of relationship experts and a matching algorithm, and our Compatibility Matching System, you can find meaningful relationships in the NYC dating scene with people who complement your personality and just get you.
We achieve this using a personality test called our Compatibility Quiz which you complete when you join. This gives eharmony insights into your relationship goals, values, and beliefs.
Large user base of all types of NYC singles
eharmony is one of the OG dating apps, particularly amongst relationship-seeking people. Our two decades in the industry has allowed us to build an incredibly large and diverse pool of members from all backgrounds.
NYC dating made simple with advanced filters
One of the greatest tools our platform has for people dating in NYC is our range of filters. Although your Match List is already filled with compatible members, we let you quickly refine this list further based on what you’re specifically looking for like education, height, religion, desire for children, personal interests and so much more.
Date ideas in NYC you need to know
Once you’ve gotten the hang of how the eharmony system works for you, you’ll need to start planning some dates with your matches.
When you’ve plucked up the nerve to ask a match you feel a particular connection with, we’ve got some date ideas in NYC.
- Rent a bike together and make a day of it at Governor’s Island. The ferry is also a nice way to wind down a date with a cone and a beautiful view.
- Why just pick one restaurant when you can just take advantage of one of the dozens of food festivals, like the New York City Wine & Food Festival, and sample it all?
- Date night at the movies might seem cliched but taking it outdoors always adds a special ingredient, like at the scenic Skyline Drive-In in Greenpoint.
- Brooklyn is famous for its quaint cafes so you can never go wrong with somewhere like Mominette or River Cafe for an appetizing, stylish date.
- A museum date at Hunters Point, home to MoMA PS1 and SculptureCenter, is a nice day out on a budget.
- The Queens Night Market has over 50 vendors and offers a range of interesting performances for a vibrant night out together.
- Explore some of the local craft brews from the microbrewery, Gun Hill Brewery. They also regularly host events, for a livelier atmosphere.
- For a date that’s a little more active, take a hike around Orchard Beach and Hunter Island. The trails are short and you can bring a small picnic.
- Kick it old school at RollerJam USA, a famous roller rink that hosts adult nights each Saturday with a full-service bar.
- For an unforgettable high-dining experience your date won’t soon forget, try Fushimi, which offers traditional Japanese cuisine with a Nouvelle twist.
It’s time to break the mold
It’s no surprise the City That Never Sleeps is a restless carousel of magical dating opportunities to find the relationship that best suits you.
Finding the right person for you in the NYC dating scene can often be as fun as exploring it. But you have to take that first step. eharmony can help you navigate the ups and downs until you find that person to explore the city with.
Join eharmony for free today.
eharmony has helped millions of people find real love over the past 20+ years, and we’re on a mission to help millions more achieve the same.