eHarmony has partnered with Stitch Fix, an online personal styling service, to provide you with tips on what to wear on a first date. Plus eHarmony members Get A Complimentary First Styling.
Stitch Fix specializes in finding clothes that fit your personality, style and budget. Tell them what you like, and get 5 items shipped to your doorstep. Keep what you like (aka everything!) and send back the rest with free and easy shipping.
Here are 7 style tips to keep in mind as you get dressed for that first date
Comfort translates into confidence. Wear something that you feel good in; something you won’t have to constantly tug, pull or straighten. If you feel good, you’ll look good.
- For women, a flowy top in a silky fabric looks elegant and feminine. Balance the volume of the top with a pair of skinny jeans.
- For men, a button-up shirt in a subtle print or a solid polo are no-brainer options.
Stick With Classic Colors
Neutral and minimal is always a good bet for a first date. After all, you want the focus to be on you, not your clothing.
- For women, a LBD that’s not too short and not too buttoned-up is a sure bet. Add a pop of color, such as a red scarf, ribbon, even lipstick
- For men, while all black works for certain occasions, mixing navy with olive and denim is a fresh alternative.
Fit in Anywhere & Look Good Doing it
Find out ahead of time where you’ll be going and dress to fit the occasion.
- For women, layer a cozy cardigan over a silk tee, add your favorite skinny jeans and a pair of ankle booties for a relaxed and put-together look. For a more formal date, top a feminine dress with an edgy moto jacket. If you don’t know where they’ll be taking you, you can’t go wrong with pair of black skinny jeans and a lace top.
- For men, keep it casual with separates–a slim-fit Henley or chambray shirt worn with dark-wash jeans and a clean pair of sneakers or canvas shoes strikes the right balance. For a more formal date, don’t sweat the tie, but do wear a blazer or sports jacket and a button-down shirt.
Dressed Up or Down, Denim Works Wonders
Jeans are perfect for almost all dating scenarios. They’re relaxed, comfortable, and flattering. But ditch your light-wash, loose-fit weekend wear for a dark wash in a slimming straight leg or four-way stretch skinny.
- For men, a dark wash is universally flattering and will work with a variety of shirts.
- For women, dark denim paired with a flirty and feminine top is the perfect balance of cool and chic.
You Can’t Go Wrong with the Right Fit
Clothes that fit properly will make you look better. Period.
- For women, a wrap dress with a flowy skirt and cinched waist will give you some shape with plenty of room to breath. Always check that you can sit comfortably and raise your hands easily in your outfit. You need to be able to move.
- For men, a slim-cut shirt with a nicely fitted pair of jeans or chinos create a clean silhouette.
What’s on the Outside Counts, too
What you wear over your clothing is just as important as what you wear under them (but we won’t get into that right now). A leather, cargo or bomber jacket all work well.
- For women, a well-cut leather jacket in a flattering color is the perfect evening layer.
- For men, you can’t go wrong with a cool bomber jacket. It serves as a sporty layer and conveys elegance and masculinity.
Shoes Say a Lot About You, Make Sure it’s all Good
Think of your shoes as the exclamation point to your outfit. Pick an appropriate pair.
- For men, a chukka boot or leather loafers for evening; clean, white leather sneakers for daytime. Keep your running shoes for running and your flip-flops for the beach.
- For women, ankle booties are the perfect sign-off to a pair of jeans, while heels are the most flattering choice if you’re wearing a dress or skirt that hits below the knee.
Whatever you wear, the most important thing to remember is to just be yourself. And have fun!
Look Great On Your First Date. Guaranteed.
Stitch Fix is an online styling service that specializes in finding clothes that fit your personality, style and budget. Tell them what you like, and get 5 items shipped to your doorstep. Keep what you like (aka everything!) and send back the rest with free and easy shipping.