Thank goodness for those who devote their lives to improving the well-being of our youth. Lots of kids have challenges of various kinds, and school counselors are among the trained professionals who intervene to help them overcome problems, gain vital skills, and develop self-esteem.
The skills and qualities that make school counselors so valuable in education settings translate well to personal relationships, naturally. Consider these reasons to date one of these professionals:
1. School counselors are empathetic, showing genuine concern for those who are struggling.
2. These professionals know how to collaborate—with teachers, parents, and administrators. Collaboration is, of course, essential to the success of romantic relationships as well.
3. Patience … school counselors have lots of patience.
4. They have strong communication skills, which will benefit a dating relationship.
5. Counselors are highly educated, having earned a graduate degree and license, along with continuing education requirements.
6. Got a problem? Even though you’re no longer in K-12, a school counselor can offer sage advice.
7. They know how to negotiate and compromise, often working within pressure-filled systems and with a variety of personalities.
8. Counselors are great listeners. If you want to be heard, you’ve come to the right person.
9. These men and women are service-oriented, helpful, and caring—qualities that would enrich any relationship.
10. School counselors know how to handle stress. They are required to deal calmly and effectively with challenging people and situations.
11. If you have children or hope to someday, a counselor will bring a wealth of experience and skills to the adult-child relationship.
12. Since school counselors typically work in conjunction with the school calendar, they get summers and holiday breaks off. Lots of time for you to play, vacation, and relax with your counselor-lover.
13. These people get daily glimpses into family dynamics—the good, the bad, and ugly—which provide insights for his/her own family.
14. School counselors are dedicated to bringing out the best in others. Who wouldn’t want a romantic partner like that?
15. Their work is never boring. After all, kids say (and do) the darndest things.
Why else should one date a school counselor?