The saying goes that you can’t judge a book by its cover. But can you judge a potential love by his or her passion for reading books?
These days, some people regard reading books as a quaint, old-fashioned activity; others see it as an indispensible exercise of intellect and imagination. Wherever you stand, you should know that an avid reader of books would make an exceptional romantic partner. Here’s why:
1. Readers are eager to expand their minds. They actively seek to absorb new ideas and inspirations … which will inspire you as well.
2. And they are eager to expand their worlds. Books can transport readers to far-flung places, introducing them to new cultures and people. When the time comes, your love may take you on a journey to some of these fascinating places.
3. As obsessions go, reading is a pretty good one. We’ll take an obsession with books over other fixations any day!
4. Readers are comfortable with quiet evenings. After a busy week, an evening at home reading together is an antidote for hectic lives.
5. They value lifelong education. Ongoing growth and development is a high priority.
6. These people use their brains. Since singles are sometimes disappointed by the—shall we say—intellectual capacity of their dates, readers demonstrate how brainpower can enhance a romantic relationship.
7. They love to hang out in bookstores. Sip a latte, browse books, peruse magazines—not a bad way to spend a Saturday morning together.
8. You’ll be introduced to world-famous friends. Your reader-lover will be happy to introduce you to Tennyson, Thoreau, Austen, and many other literary giants considered to be close friends.
9. They are good conversationalists. A reader always has something to discuss.
10. As the T-shirt says, “Readers Love to Get Between the Covers.” No elaboration needed.
11. Readers are inspired by romantic, poignant language. Expect lots of love notes.
12. They have resources to learn about many facets of life, including love and romance. Information that can enrich your relationship is readily available.
13. You’ll always know what to give as a gift. As partners go, book lovers are easier to buy for than, say, fine art lovers.
14. Book club! Your reader partner has their own interests and friendships, so you have some time and space for yourself regularly. And who knows, they might even bring home some extra pumpkin spice cake from their latest meet. Yum.
15. Readers are always eager to start a new chapter … hopefully with you as the main character.
Why else do avid readers make great relationship partners?