Now, it goes without saying that ‘Star Wars’ is woven into our cultural fabric. Few people alive today don’t know of Luke Skywalker, Darth Vader, Yoda, and Princess Leia. Since the first film premiered in 1977, this series has become a worldwide phenomenon. With ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens‘ soaring into theaters Dec.18, we thought it would be the perfect time to honor the coolest movie fans on this planet.
If you have a chance to date a ‘Star Wars’ fan, consider yourself fortunate. Here’s why:
1. Your Stars Wars-loving partner has learned to be patient. There have been long stretches in between films, spanning decades. “Patience you must have, my young padawan.” So true.
2. You’ll never have to wonder what to do on date night. Whether your partner has seen the movies five times or fifty times, one more viewing will be welcomed—especially if you can cuddle while watching together. Or make Yoda pancakes.
3. You can alter one of the oft-repeated phrases. Fans know that the phrase “I have a bad feeling about this” appeared in the first six films. But regarding your romantic relationship, you’ll probably want to say, “I have a GOOD feeling about this.”
4. Fans know how to deal with disappointment. In addition to the epic films, there have also been some clunkers. After the long wait for new releases, it’s a major disappointment when a particular movie doesn’t meet expectations.
5. Costume parties are a no-brainer. Planning what to wear for Halloween or parties is easy when the person you’re dating already owns a Boba Fett or Darth Vader mask.
6. “I know” is an appropriate response. In the fateful exchange between Princess Leia and Han Solo before he’s frozen in carbonite, Leia says, “I love you,” and Han famously responds, “I know.” (Caution: It might also be appropriate to say “I love you, too” in return!)
7. Your partner has a sense of good versus evil. What’s not to like about someone who cares passionately about characters involved in an epic battle to save an entire galaxy (and their friends) from the darkest of evil forces?
8. You both can get a little wiser by quoting inspirational Yoda sayings. Such as, “Try not! Do or not do. There is no try.” And, “Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”
9. You won’t have to worry about a bad hair day. After all, on your worst hair day, you’re going to have a better ’do than Chewbacca. For that matter, Princess Leia and Princess Naboo also had some pretty mysterious manes.
10. You’ll have a better way to say, “Good luck.” When your lover heads out for a job interview or an important presentation, it’s all about, “May the Force be with you.”
11. You can have a friendly debate about your favorite character. Certain characters resonate with certain people. So who’s your fav? Han? Leia? Luke? Obi-Wan? C-3PO?
12. And you can commiserate about your least favorite character. Chances are that Jar Jar Binks will feature prominently. Also receiving dishonorable mention could be young Anakin and Watto.
13. Have a spontaneous lightsaber duel—just because you can. Grab a broom or a mop, and you’re ready for a Luke vs. Darth fight to the finish. And yes, you must make the lightsaber sound effects.
14. More words of wisdom. For instance, Qui-Gon Jinn on people who talk too much: “The ability to speak does not make you intelligent.” Yoda on aging: “When nine hundred years old you reach, look as good you will not.” Obi-Wan on discerning truth: “Your eyes can deceive you. Don’t trust them.”
15. A Princess Leia bikini is sure to spice things up. Remember when the imprisoned princess was forced to sit in front of Jabba the Hutt in that skimpy outfit? Yeah, so does your lover. Enough said.
Why else should one date a ‘Star Wars’ fan?
Image courtesy: Walt Disney Pictures