The martial arts have been around for centuries and are thriving more than ever. Some people are drawn to the spectacle of televised mixed martial arts (MMA), with its bone-crushing grudge matches. But the majority of martial arts emphasize self-defense, physical dexterity, mental focus, and the connection between mind, body, and spirit.
From taekwondo to judo, krav maga to aikido, hundreds of varieties exist, each with its own particular philosophy and approach. If you have the chance to date someone devoted to the martial arts, you’ll find many qualities that will enhance a dating relationship:
1. You’ll feel safe on a date. Prepared to handle dangerous situations and defuse confrontations, your martial artist date will protect you if need be.
2. They strive to control emotions, especially in tense moments. Poise under pressure is an asset that will enhance any relationship.
3. Martial artists focus on character development. These arts emphasize integrity, responsibility, and trustworthiness.
4. They understand boundaries better than most, having trained to guard them. Maintaining personal boundaries and respecting them in others is a key to healthy relationships.
5. Martial artists have developed mental toughness. They have fortitude amid adversity and are prepared to deal with difficult issues.
6. These people aren’t afraid of conflict. Since resolving conflict—rather than avoiding it—is essential to relationship success, this quality is a definite plus.
7. Martial artists know the value of hard work. To advance to higher levels, they must train consistently and continually hone their skills.
8. They seek balance in life. These individuals strive for equilibrium in the physical, emotional, and spiritual aspects of their lives.
9. No doormats here. Rejecting passivity, they know how to stand up for themselves.
10. Martial artists have a heightened sense of awareness. They are present and focused in the moment.
11. They value physical fitness. To perform well, they must keep their body in shape.
12. They are respectful of others. A primary emphasis of most martial arts is healthy respect for other people—which is exactly what you want in a dating partner.
13. Martial artists demonstrate quiet confidence. Through training, they gain self-assurance without the need to show off.
14. They are intent on self-improvement. Martial artists continually strive to get better at their combat skills as well as their personal attributes.
15. These people have developed perseverance. Long hours of training and participation in competitive events instill the passion to persist through hardship.
Why else would one want to date a martial artist?