We all know by now that left-handed folks aren’t of the devil, right?! Here are 15 reasons to date an amazing lefty.
1. If your date’s a lefty and you’re right-handed, you can hold non-dominant hands while eating dinner — or filling out paperwork.
2. Maybe it’s because they’re living in a right-handed world, but lefties excel at thinking outside the box. According to Slate, “There may be an outsize number of lefty geniuses because lefties are more likely to engage in divergent thinking.”
3. Yep, they’re super-smart. Bill Gates, Aristotle and Marie Curie: all left-handed. Despite representing only 11 percent of the American population, about 20 per cent of Mensa‘s members are southpaws. There are a disproportionate number of left-handed Nobel Prize winners, too.
5. You’ll be dating someone fit for leadership. In fact, the only non-lefty in the White House since the Cold War has been George W. Bush. (Alexander the Great, Joan of Arc and Napoleon Bonaparte were all rumored to be left-handed, too.)
6. The “lefty advantage.” Lefties have advantages in sports. Opponents aren’t used to facing a lefty’s serve (tennis) or punch (boxing). About 25 percent of pro baseball players are left-handed, and southpaws can better adjust to seeing underwater. You’ll want your date on your team.
7. Your date won’t steal your scissors. He has his own. (But if he can use your scissors, it’s because he’s adapted some ambidextrous habits. Impressive, huh?)
8. They get stuff done. Lefties are proven multitaskers. In fact, lefties “tend to have a more even distribution of mental activity across the two hemispheres of the brain,” says Dr. Clyde Francks from the Wellcome Trust Centre for Human Genetics at the University of Oxford. “This may make lefties better at organizing vast amounts of information and multitasking, since the two sides of their brain are accustomed to communicating more efficiently.”
9. When watching movies at home on the couch, you’ll each get your own armrest — and can still share the bowl of popcorn.
10. If your date ever ends up in a Zoolander-esque walk-off, he’ll be able to nail that left turn.
11. Lefties are visual and creative. Michelangelo, Raphael, Leonardo da Vinci and Renoir were all left-handed. So is Paul McCartney. One study found that participants just needed to clench their left hands to boost creativity.
12. Lefties are also natural performers, which is likely why so many of our A-list favorites sign autographs with their left hands, including Angelina Jolie, Tina Fey, Bruce Willis, Emma Thompson, Julia Roberts, Jerry Seinfeld, Oprah, Hugh Jackman, Whoopi Goldberg, Nicole Kidman, and Morgan Freeman.
13. He’ll get you home safely. Apparently lefties are better at learning to drive — at least in the U.K., where the gearshift is to the left of the driver. Famous left-handed drivers are pretty out-of-this-world: Buzz Aldrin and Chewbacca.
14. Fun fact: Your date can probably pick up a few groceries faster than you can. Studies have shown that shoppers line up at the checkout nearest to their dominant side. The left lane is usually emptiest.
15. And because we know you were wondering: Lefties are better off in the bedroom. According to a 2014 survey, left-handed people are 71 percent more satisfied in bed than right-handed people. Now you know.
Why else should one date a lefty?