Sometimes the best advice is really simple. Easy does it. Take a deep breath. Don’t worry, be happy. I think you get my point. Clever comedian and writer Carolyn Castiglia has come up with ten mistakes men are making during the online dating process — I would say these mishaps are extremely common. And, many women are guilty of these errors as well. Either way, enjoy her list below.
1. ‘How are you?’ is not a conversation starter. Try picking something you found interesting from my profile and asking me specifically about that. Unless this is free therapy. In that case, how much free time do you have?
2. Spelling counts. It just does. Try spell check. It will check your grammar, too.
3. Don’t message me again … and again … and again. Sometimes guys just don’t take the hint. If we’ve messaged and nothing came of it, then a few weeks or months later you write me again and we exchange some notes but nothing comes of it? Maybe don’t make that third attempt. We’re all busy. But nobody wants to be a back-burner date idea or your creepy obsession. Be like Adele Dazeem and Let It Go.
4. If you look sad in all your pics, I’m going to believe you’re sad. Chin up, buddy. It can’t be that bad. Look at Ronald McDonald! He’s lovin’ it.
More from YourTango: Don’t Fit In? Then You are Lucky!
5. Women don’t owe you a reply. Just because you message a woman, she does not owe you a reply. Be cool. (And this goes both ways, ladies!)
6. Please ask about me. Something even the cool guys who are sort of good at online dating don’t seem to understand: you have to also ask me about me. It’s not just about you and what you’re interested in and what you do and what you like. I am a person with an exciting life, too, thanks. If you don’t ask me about myself when we are messaging, I will not meet up with you for a lifetime of the “YOU” show. Sorry I’m not sorry.
7. If there is a woman in your picture, you don’t look available. Guys, please stop using pictures of you and just one other woman. Oh, she’s your friend? Okay, sure, yeah, whatever. It’s weird.
8. First dates that last longer than a few hours are awkward. Maybe we could start by like having *a* drink or *a* coffee or going on *a* walk, rather than get together for a picnic then a sunset cruise followed by picking our wedding venue? Something that lasts 1-2 hours, tops.
9. Seeing a movie is a bad first date idea. Why don’t we go somewhere where we can, I dunno, TALK and get to know one another? Rather than sit quietly in the dark for 2 hours listening to each other breathe?
10. Don’t be gross. Enough said!
More at YourTango:
What’s the biggest mistake you see made in online dating profiles?
Originally posted at YourTango: 10 Awful Online Dating Mistakes Men Should Stop Making ASAP