By eHarmony Customer Care Agent Jack
After doing an informal poll with members on the service, there are some general similarities and requests regarding your photos that I’d like to share with you. It’s really important that you pay attention to what I’ve written, because this information will certainly help you. Hopefully, you’ll see that there is a LOT of truth to them. Good Luck!
1. Smile for the Camera. You’re not in an Armani ad, so smile and let them know that you’re a warm, friendly and engaging character who is worth the effort of communicating with. You definitely don’t want to come across as a “Sour Sam.”
2. Don’t post pictures taken in the mirror. Nothing is more unoriginal, unimaginative and boring than posting that photo taken in your bathroom, which also has bad lighting. Why not get a friend to take a better photo? Additionally, there is no need, unless you’re at the beach, to be topless in a photo.
3. Make the first photo a headshot or close up of you. Your matches primarily want to see you and only you when they receive you as a match. They don’t want to play Where’s Waldo when trying to figure out who you are. This first photo is a great way to establish your personal style and character with your match.
4. Don’t post photos with you and members of the opposite sex. If you choose to post photos, feel free to use the caption feature to explain that that person with you in the photo is your sister/cousin/mother, etc., and not your ex-wife or girlfriend. I’ve seen photos of guys who have posted pictures with their exes and it didn’t end in positive results.
5. Make sure that you’re in the photo. If you happen to have the cutest kids or pets in the world, that’s awesome, but don’t post pictures of just them; make sure that you’re in the photo as well.
6. Make sure that you’ve posted recent photos. Your matches will want to see you as look now, so that way they’ll know what you’ll look like on your first date. It’s great that you have photos from your glory days, but your matches really want to see you in the here and now, so just make sure that you’ve posted recent photos as well.
7. Make sure that you’ve posed for success. This includes the photo background that you’ve selected. It’s OK to post a photo of you on a recliner eating Cheetos, but your matches will really appreciate seeing you in various settings like the great outdoors. That brings me to another great point — dress for success. I’m not saying that you need to be in a tux, but you probably don’t need to be in sweats or a Speedo either. You are more likely to receive communication if you look put together and functional.
8. Use your captions. Captions are there for you to use them. It’s a great way for you to establish yourself as a match, while setting yourself apart from the crowd. It’ll also give you the opportunity to create communication opportunities for your matches. So, do you and your matches a favor and use the caption feature whenever your post a photo. It’ll make you even more interesting.
So guys, if you take this information and use it effectively, you’ll increase rates which you’ll communicate with your matches.
You’ll also increase your chances of finding success on the service. This information is a goldmine and that’s why I’m giving it to you – because I want you to succeed. Guys just know this – Jack is on your side. Next time, I’ll help you navigate that most overlooked next – the first phone call.