Try eHarmony today!

Already a member? Log in

  • Advice
  • Blog
  • Dating

  • Relationships

  • Using eHarmony

  • Dating Tips

  • About You

An eHarmony Success Couple: Matt and Krissie

My name’s Matt, and my new wife Krissie and I are now in wedded bliss thanks to eHarmony. I joined the service in September, 2006, and Krissie and I were matched in November. I’m a sportswriter, she’s a fifth grade teacher, and there is no way we ever would have met otherwise. Looking back with 20-20 hindsight, I could immediately tell Krissie was one of the better matches I’d gotten. Just from her answers and pictures, she exuded simple, honest sweetness, and I liked the fact she was so dedicated to educating children.

After some emailing back and forth and finally a phone call, Krissie and I set our first date. It was dinner at a seafood restaurant on Nov. 30, 2006. I drove to Krissie’s house to pick her up. When she answered the door, I immediately thought she was even prettier than in her pictures. I don’t believe in love at first sight – and still don’t – but I do believe in the instant feeling of attraction and chemistry, and for me, that was there without a doubt. We were both nervous that night, but the conversation flowed very easily with her. We could laugh together and smile together. It felt “right.” At the end of the date, we gave each other a nice hug, and as I was driving home I felt something rare for me after a first date – I could not wait to see this person again, and hoped she felt the same way.

There was snow in the forecast that night, and I’d been kidding Krissie that she need not worry about our dinner lasting too late, since her school would be cancelled the next day. She said her school never had snow days, but I said I had a feeling it would this time. We shook hands and made a bet on it. Sure enough, the next day school was cancelled with about a half-foot of snowfall. I was psyched – not only because I’m competitive, but also because it gave me an excuse to call her and gloat. We’d simply talked about it too much for me NOT to call her, so I did. After a couple of minutes talking I said, “You know what this means, though, it kind of means we’ll have to go out on a second date.”

Krissie’s playful response: “What… is that a bad thing?”

I knew then that she’d enjoyed our first date as much as I did. And so the second date led to a third and a fourth, which led to a relationship that kept on deepening, which led to love. I asked Krissie to marry me on Aug. 25, 2007, in between sets of a sunset concert at the Chicago area’s Morton Arboretum. She said yes, and we both burst into tears in what may have been the happiest moment in each of our lives. Both of our families were elated, and we went about setting the wedding date – June 21, 2008 – and planning the big day. All was going well until just after the New Year, when I began to feel poorly physically. My mind was clouded and my body weakened. I couldn’t sleep without waking up in a sweat. At a doctor’s appointment, a lump in my neck was discovered. This led to a surgical biopsy, and the diagnosis of Hodgkins Lymphoma. I had cancer. I asked Krissie if she would still marry me even though I had this disease. Without hesitating, she said “yes,” of course she would.

As sick as I felt, I was fully determined to beat the disease. I simply could NOT let a disease – even cancer – interfere with our wedding day. With Krissie and her parents supporting me kindly the whole way, I began 16 weeks of chemotherapy at the beginning of March. Chemo is brutal – it wipes you out, makes you feel drugged and sick in multiple ways. But it works. Dutifully, I completed every treatment and grinded out as full a work schedule as I could. I felt badly for Krissie to give her an engagement like this, but she too pushed ahead with the wedding planning. And as rough as the cancer treatment was, I could feel myself steadily, slowly improving. My final chemo treatment wound up being on June 10 – a mere 11 days before the wedding. Three days before the wedding, as family began arriving in town; my side effects were finally gone. And I felt BETTER – back to my normal self. Then, our wedding day was everything we’d ever wished for. With 130 guests, we enjoyed what was truly the happiest day of our lives. My energy was back; I never tired all day and was able to do something which would have been impossible only weeks earlier – dance with my beautiful bride. It was a true, beautiful, loving, euphoric celebration.

After a honeymoon in Hawaii, we returned home and – after tests at the hospital – I received the best news since Krissie agreed to marry me: I was now cancer free, and in complete remission. Now, my hair is growing back, my strength has returned to normal, and am officially a cancer survivor.

Best of all, and thanks to eHarmony, I have a wonderful new wife. Krissie in I are truly, deeply in love. Every day we spend together is a blessing. And with my clean bill of health, there will be many, many of those wonderful days to come. When they get married, couples always promise to be there for each other in sickness and in health.

Well, Krissie’s had to deal with plenty of the “sickness” part already, so I plan on giving her lots of “health” for several happy, blissful decades. We truly are beautifully matched. Thank you for introducing us. It is true love, and we are both finding out just what a wonderful thing true love is.

If this article gave you the confidence to find your match, try eHarmony today!

Join Now

More like this:

By posting a comment, I agree to the Community Standards.
Need help with