America’s public policy debate on pot rages on. Currently, 13 states have moved to decriminalize marijuana for medicinal use, 1 while several more states and cities have begun reducing penalties for possession and personal use. 2 The federal government has held firm to its position that marijuana is a serious drug deserving serious criminal treatment – even going as far as conducting raids on various medicinal marijuana retailers in California.
Studies tell us that about 10 million Americans are regular marijuana smokers, 3 which makes it more than a little likely that your active dating life will present you with these questions:
• Are you willing to date someone who is a regular marijuana user?
• If so, how much is too much? Are you fine with the weekend toker? The “I only smoke if offered” casual user?
• What is it about marijuana use that makes it a deal breaker for you? Is it the stereotype that pot smokers are lazy? Is it the illegality? Do you believe that it is a gateway drug?
• What if the marijuana is for medicinal purposes? Is that okay?
• If you are a marijuana smoker, when do you share these details in a new relationship?
Let’s Hear What You Think! Enter Your Comments Below.
1. NORML – http://www.norml.org/index.cfm?Group_ID=3391.
2. NBC 9 News – http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=80492
3. Patriot Ledger http://www.southofboston.net/specialreports/election06/pages/local_questions_pot.asp
4. Boston.com – http://www.boston.com/news/local/vermont/articles/2008/02/02/marijuana_law_change_fought_by_vt_officials/
5. Seattle Times – http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2002519091_pot25.html.
6. Healthmoon – http://www.geocities.com/healthmoon/smoking-marijuana/stats.htm.