Twitter may not be eHarmony…but what do you do if your crush loves to tweet away? And so do you. Now what?
Here’s how to flirt on Twitter:
1. Choose a cute avatar and write a clever, short bio.
2. Follow people strategically. If you want your crush to follow you on Twitter, you probably shouldn’t be following a slew of scantily clad strangers. Choose interesting people, your favorite celebrities and authors, and career-relevant Twitter accounts to follow.
3. Follow your crush.
4. Tweet. Don’t just retweet things or post photos, tweet funny, interesting (and grammatically non-offensive) sentences.
5. Reply to your crush’s tweets. Retweet their funniest observations. (Don’t retweet everything, however, unless you want to come across as a stalker.) Casually engage him/her in conversation. If he’s tweeting about his quest for the city’s best pancakes, recommend your favorite brunch spot.
6. Important: Think before you tweet. Be especially cautious after a night of drinking. (Drunk-tweeting is the new drunk-dialing. Nothing good ever comes of it.)
7. Flirt with one person at a time. If your crush discovers that he/she is one of many people you direct witty, flirtatious tweets at, your chances of ever developing a relationship with that person are officially over.
8. Take it slow and keep it clean. Don’t sent endless tweets his/her way. Don’t use racy, innuendo-filled language. Twitter is public. If you don’t want your parents or your boss reading your tweets, don’t hit “Tweet.”
9. Move to direct messaging. You can share more personal information (like your phone number) in a more private setting.
10. Related to #9: Call him/her. Take the chatting offline. Talk on the phone — and ask him/her out.
Have you had any luck meeting anyone through Twitter? Please share!