One thing we can say with absolute certainty: People in our society LOVE their coffee. It seems to be the fuel that keeps us chugging along. What’s more, coffeehouses in every community have become the gathering places for people to meet friends, study, journal, read, or just hang out and watch the world go by.
Which brings us to the all-important men and women who prepare and serve up coffee, tea, pastries, and muffins: Baristas. Those drink-dispensing folks bring many attributes not only to the coffeehouse but to relationships as well. In fact, the same skills and qualities that make a barista an indispensible part of our daily routine translate nicely into romantic relationships…including these:
1. If you are among the millions of people who love coffee drinks, teas, and other beverages, imagine the recommendations you’ll be given, the free samples you’ll receive, and the concoctions you’ll be treated to right in your own kitchen.
2. Baristas are upbeat and friendly people, ready with a smile and warm greeting.
3. A barista must have exceptional listening skills—not only to get orders right, but also because of the many customers looking for an empathic person to hear them talk.
4. Along with listening skills, a barista must be a skilled conversationalist, able to make small talk and dialogue with people all day.
5. Baristas are hard-working and industrious…or else they wouldn’t be a barista for very long.
6. Baristas know how to multi-task, often doing many things at the same time—taking orders, making coffee drinks, using the drive-thru headset, mopping up spills, and stocking the pastry case.
7. These individuals are service-oriented, helpful, and eager to please—qualities that would enrich a dating relationship.
8. Baristas have fascinating stories to tell. With the many characters they meet each day and the lively atmosphere they work in, you’re sure to hear intriguing anecdotes and revelations on your dates.
9. What besides coffee drinks are coffeehouses known for? Music. Besides coffee expertise, your barista-lover can recommend funky, unusual music to expand your tastes.
10. Baristas know how to handle stress. Somehow they keep cool during the morning coffee rush hour and while dealing with difficult customers.
11. They have good memories—not only for remembering drink orders, but also to provide customer service by remembering names and important facts about people.
12. Baristas must be organized, with strong time-management skills.
13. With the stream of people they meet, baristas get acquainted with doctors, accountants, plumbers, mechanics, and lots of others. These contacts will come in handy if you ever need a recommendation.
14. Baristas arrive home at the end of the day smelling of coffee. Go ahead, breathe deeply.
15. In addition to coffee preparation, baristas know how to clean—counters, dishes, floors, equipment. That’s an attribute most people would love to have in a partner.
Why else should one consider dating a barista?