Are you falling in love with someone who is too in love with themselves to love you back? Here are 10 signs you’re with a narcissist:
1. He exaggerates his achievements. Sure, we all want tend to upsell our accomplishments from time to time. But if your date can’t talk about his life without dropping plenty of superlatives and turning every milestone into a bragging moment, his main concern is making himself look good, not presenting himself honestly.
2. She’s preoccupied with fantasies of ridiculous success, money and power, and she seeks applause for a living. A narcissist needs to be the best – and in the limelight; she desires constant affirmation and to be the envy of others.
3. He’s envious of others. A narcissist is constantly (and often condescendingly) comparing himself and his achievements against those of his rivals. He won’t be happy until he’s number one.
4. She only wants to do what she wants to do, and does everything on her terms. Good luck trying to choose which movie to see on Friday night. Her choice will always win.
5. Every conflict is your fault. In times of conflict, disappointment or hurt, he gets angry instead of sad. He can’t take responsibility for his own actions, so blames everything on you.
6. The rules don’t apply to your date. Your significant other has no problem cheating on taxes, in the workplace, or on you.
7. She’s not dependable. A narcissist is too self-preoccupied to be there for you.
8. When you speak up about your needs, he gets defensive or dismissive. A narcissist puts himself first and will disregard your feelings if they inconvenience him or make him feel uncomfortable.
9. She has a sense of entitlement or unreasonable expectations. Arrogance and haughtiness are attitudes often associated with narcissism. Does she expect to be treated like royalty under all circumstances? Does he expect sex in return for a fancy dinner because he deserves it? Run.
10. When tough times come, he says goodbye. His words may be charming, but he can’t back up his promises with actual commitment.
Have you dated a narcissist? What was the experience like?
Learn more about narcissistic personality disorders.