Security Update From eHarmony
Our members’ privacy and security is of the utmost importance to us. We, therefore, want to keep you informed of a situation that affected certain customer information.
We recently learned that an unauthorized third party illegally accessed some members’ information on our network. This included: member first names, last names (if provided), email addresses, encrypted passwords, phone numbers (if provided) and certain membership dates.
In partnership with law enforcement, we immediately began an aggressive investigation into the circumstances surrounding the situation, and we will be working with various regulatory bodies to address any concerns. We have also taken active steps to ensure the protection of affected members’ information by resetting their passwords. We are contacting directly those customers that may be affected.
At this point in the investigation, we have no evidence indicating that credit or debit card information has been compromised. This issue also appears to be limited to members who registered before June 2010.
While it is too early for definitive conclusions, we believe that the illegal access of this information may be related to the access involving certain encrypted passwords that was previously discovered in June 2012.
We have been taking precautionary measures to enhance our security and have invested an extensive amount of resources on multiple initiatives to protect member information.
In order to help protect your privacy on any web sites you visit, we recommend the following Internet security best practice tips:
- If you receive an email that asks you to click on links or take other actions related to your account, exercise caution – especially if you did not request that action
- If you aren’t sure a message is legitimate, contact the company that supposedly sent it to find out-or discard the message
- Make sure your computer has anti-virus and anti-spyware software installed.
- Change your passwords on a regular basis
- Create a strong password of at least 8 characters, composed of lowercase and uppercase letters, numbers and symbols
- Create different passwords for each of the Internet sites you use
We apologize for any inconvenience or concern that this may have caused. We will keep you updated as to any significant developments on this matter. Should you have questions, feel free to contact an eHarmony customer service representative at 1-877-904-4812, which is a dedicated Customer Care line for calls related to this announcement.
If this article gave you the confidence to find your match, try eHarmony today!Join Now