In a recent study, 104 young men and women (mean age = 20) in romantic relationships (average about 1 year) were asked to “list all the topics they avoided in their romantic relationship” (Anderson, Kunkel, & Dennis, 2010). Commonly avoided topics included:
1) Past relationships – including details about past sexual experiences (38%)
2) Controversial topics – like religion and politics (16%)
3) Relationship norms – like comfort with public displays of affection (13%)
4) Activities outside the relationship – any activity not involving the partner (13%)
5) The state of the relationship – where is this relationship headed? (11%)
Given that past relationships and past sexual experiences were at the top of the list, participants were also asked what reasons they had for avoiding that topic. Reasons were similar for men and women, and included explanations like…(click here to keep reading and find out how talking -or not talking- about these subjects can affect your relationship).