A Sweet Valentine’s Day on Any Budget
Like many holidays, Valentine’s Day should be about celebrating the love in your life, but instead becomes a looming, stressful event. How do I top last year? Where do we go? What if I just don’t have the funds to do anything elaborate?
We all get caught up in wanting to express our love for others in a grandiose way — especially on this occasion. But if you think about it, what gifts and thoughtful gestures have touched you the most? For me, I remember words that were said or just a really sweet card. It truly is the THOUGHT that counts. Let’s all try to remember that and take the pressure off of ourselves.
The element of surprise is a fun way to celebrate. Get up early in the morning and decorate your loved one’s bathroom with notes and his favorite sweets or products. It doesn’t have to cost a ton of money. Frame a favorite photo of the two of you — or your pet. How about just picking up the latest book from their favorite author or about their favorite subject? That and a thoughtful, homemade card — and maybe some homemade cookies — is incredibly special. I also really like the idea of just staying in and making dinner together. A friend of mine and his wife actually go out to the mall together, set a limit of $25, and see what they can find for each other that is unique and interesting.
- Personalized love birch cuff. Carving initials on a tree is a romantic tradition that goes back for centuries.
- A custom throw blanket. A cozy throw will create a wonderful and personal place for just the two of you to cuddle after a long day.
- What I Love About You book. As relationships progress, we can lose focus on what our partner loves about us. A special book you can refer to over and over again reminds both of you what you truly love about each other. In time, your thoughts and feelings will become a treasured keepsake of your growing love.
- Personalized wine box. For the wine drinker, you can personalize the box with a heart, a message and the heart, or a special day to look forward to when they can open one of three compartments.
- Hockey Stick BBQ set. For the outdoors fan, this is a truly unique and fun gift what will show your appreciation of their favorite sport.
- Slate Cheese Board. For the hostess. Now you can have a wonderful wine and cheese spread and add messages right on to the board. You can display what kinds of cheese are out, list the dinner menu or just say I love you.
- Beat Bottle. It’s a perfect addition for the gym, beach, or travel. The bottle includes a slot for your iPhone 4 or 5 and amplifies songs through the bottom of the bottle as you sip your sports drink or hydrate after a long, musical run.
- Wearable candle. A truly unique and useful gift! This candle is perfect for a relaxing evening, as it offers a fresh, white tea fig and tobacco scent that doubles as perfume and a body butter.
- Personalized Lazy Susan. Create the perfect sentimental memento you can use every day.
What has been your favorite Valentine’s Day gift ever?
If this article gave you the confidence to find your match, try eHarmony today!Join Now