You know how much we love lists around here. I found a fantastic one this morning on Marc and Angel Hack Life: 20 Bad Habits Holding Good People Back. I felt a lot of these could affect one’s dating life as well, so I wanted to share some favorite points.
1. Expecting your life to be easy. I would add “dating life” to this one. Finding a person to share your life with is a process which, at times, can be difficult and defeating. Does it mean you should give up? Absolutely not. The answer? Patience and persistence.
2. Chasing after those who don’t want to be caught. Amen. Too many of us wait around for someone to “come around” or “commit.” If they aren’t ready or aren’t interested and you are — cut your losses and move on.
3. Letting one dark cloud (or date) cover the entire sky. We’ve all had bad dates, bad breakups and suffered in some dating-related way. The challenge and opportunity is to learn how to not take it personally, let go of anger, and look ahead. Give each new person you meet a chance to show you how great they are, instead of assuming they will hurt you like others have.
4. Giving up who you are. Why do so many of us drop our friends, opinions or favorite things to please another person? This will only end poorly, so giving up this bad habit is crucial. Don’t lose sight of your world — or who you are – for anyone.
5. Constantly mulling over past hardships (relationships). This is the quickest way to ruin your new relationship – or dating potential with anyone. No one wants to hear you go on and on about how you have been wronged by an ex. Do your absolute best to live in the now. Forgiveness is a very attractive and healthy quality.
6. Expecting your significant other to be perfect. Obviously, no one is anywhere near perfect, so don’t pressure your partner to be. Accepting them for who they are – flaws and all – will more likely lead to a happy dating life.
What bad dating habits have you conquered? Or not?